PRISM international publishes exciting, original material from established and emerging writers in Canada and around the world. We accept submissions year-round. Due to the high volume of submissions we receive each month, reply times range between 2 to 6 months, depending on the time of year.
Please note: PRISM does not accept submissions from current or incoming students or faculty of the University of British Columbia’s Creative Writing Program (this includes the UBC Optional-Residency MFA Program). Work submitted by incoming students prior to their acceptance to the UBC Creative Writing Program, if still under consideration, must be withdrawn. In order to submit, UBC alumni cannot have taken a UBC Creative Writing Program course during the previous two years.
For contest entries, please refer to our contest page.
- Submit only one piece at a time, unless you are submitting flash fiction or non-fiction (under 1000 words), in which case you may submit up to three pieces in a single document. While we accept prose submissions of up to 25 pages (6,250 words), it is generally easier to place shorter work.
- Send original, unpublished literary essays, personal essays, hybrid-genre works, and literary journalism. Please note that we do not publish rhetorical, academic, or strictly journalistic non-fiction.
- Submissions should be typed, double-spaced, and paginated. Please specify the genre of your submission in your cover letter.
- Include in your cover letter your full contact information (including email address) and a short bio.
- All submissions should be set in Times New Roman, 12-point font. .
- We strongly prefer online submissions, which must be submitted through Submittable, as we do not accept email submissions. We charge a $3.00 reading fee per submission.
- If you mail your submission, please include your email address. We will reply to mailed submissions via email. Please only include a SASE (with Canadian stamps) if you cannot be reached via email. Note that we do not return manuscripts. Please ensure that you retain a copy of your submission for your files.
- Submissions must be previously unpublished, in print and online.
- We accept simultaneous submissions. If your piece is accepted elsewhere, please let us know immediately.
- We purchase first North American serial rights, and pay $30/printed page for prose and $40/printed page for poetry. Contributors will receive two copies of the issue in which their work appears.
- We encourage submissions from Indigenous writers, writers of colour, writers with disabilities, LGBTQQIA writers, and writers from other intersectional and marginalized groups, including low-income earners. If you identify as one or more of the above and would like to let us know, please mention it in your cover letter.
IF YOU PREFER REGULAR MAIL, MAIL FICTION, NON-FICTION, PROSE TRANSLATION AND DRAMA TO:
Creative Writing Program, UBC
Buch. E462 – 1866 Main Mall
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1