PRISM international publishes exciting, original material from established and emerging writers in Canada and around the world. We accept submissions year-round. Due to the high volume of submissions we receive each month, reply times range between 2 to 6 months, depending on the time of year.
Please note: PRISM does not accept submissions from current and incoming students and faculty of the University of British Columbia’s Creative Writing Program (this includes the UBC Optional-Residency MFA Program). Work submitted by incoming students prior to their acceptance to the UBC Creative Writing Program, if still under consideration, must be withdrawn. In order to submit, UBC alumni cannot have taken a UBC Creative Writing Program course during the previous two years.
For contest entries, please refer to our contest page.
- Submit one to four poems.
- We welcome cross-genre and interdisciplinary poetry and poetics.
- In your cover letter, please specify the number of poems you are submitting and list the titles of the poems.
- Poetry submissions should be typed and single-spaced. If you would like to submit poems with alternate spacing, please mention it in your cover letter and submit a PDF instead of a Word document.
- If you would like feedback on your poems, please make a request in your cover letter. The poetry editor will endeavour to respond but cannot guarantee that each submission will receive comments and feedback.
- Include in your cover letter your full contact information (including email address) and a short bio.
- All submissions should be set in Times New Roman, 12-point font. .
- We strongly prefer online submissions, which must be submitted through Submittable, as we do not accept email submissions. We charge a $3.00 reading fee per submission.
- If you mail your submission, please include your email address. We will reply to mailed submissions via email. Please only include a SASE (with Canadian stamps) if you cannot be reached via email. Note that we do not return manuscripts. Please ensure that you retain a copy of your submission for your files.
- Submissions must be previously unpublished, in print and online.
- We accept simultaneous submissions. If your piece is accepted elsewhere, please let us know immediately.
- We purchase first North American serial rights, and pay $30/printed page for prose and $40/printed page for poetry. Contributors will receive two copies of the issue in which their work appears.
- The editorial board awards one $500 prize to an outstanding poetry contributor each year.
- We encourage submissions from Indigenous writers, writers of colour, writers with disabilities, LGBTQQIA writers, and writers from other intersectional and marginalized groups, including low-income earners. If you identify as one or more of the above and would like to let us know, please mention it in your cover letter.
IF YOU PREFER TO SUBMIT VIA REGULAR MAIL, PLEASE REFER TO OUR WEBSITE FOR GUIDELINES.
MAIL POETRY SUBMISSIONS TO:
Shazia Hafiz Ramji
Creative Writing Program, UBC
Buch. E462 – 1866 Main Mall
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1